Serving our Community and Beyond through Outreach
At LCGS, it is our calling and our duty to provide opportunities to serve others.
There are many opportunities to serve others, provide food for the food pantry, gently used coats for those that don’t have coats, Appalachia Servant Event, etc. We have special events to raise money for hurricane victims and children.
Please join us for any of these community events, they are open to the public.
“And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward” Matthew 10:42
Here are some of the ways we make an impact to help those in need:
- Appalachian Servant Event - Our longest running high school servant event in the LCMS. The event requires high maturity and high responsibility. Light construction, painting, cleaning, and extreme digging of septic sites are the typical work experiences each year. Approximately 35 youth plus adults spend nearly two weeks in the mountains of Appalachia.
- Food Pantry - We supply non-perishable food to the needy; about 40 bags per month. Food is provided to everyone who makes a request. Members and community residents donate non-perishable food for distribution.
- Chase Shelter - Since 1986, we have provided meals to the Chase Homeless Shelter & Men’s Emergency Shelter in Rockville on the fifth Saturday. The Men’s Emergency Shelter provides transitional housing coordinated with substance abuse treatment and counseling, case management, and a required day treatment program.
- Helping Hands - Helping hands reaches out to help those in need during the holiday season.
- Interfaith Clothing Center - The Interfaith Clothing Center in Rockville provides low-income families with clothing and home goods free of charge. Clothing collected at the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd is donated each month.
- Journey Through Bethlehem - The church is transformed into a walk through Bethlehem as it was during the birth of Jesus. For more information, visit: Journey-Through-Bethlehem
- Matthew 25 Outreach - Offers a way to serve our community by providing coats, gloves, hats and other essentials in the winter months to a partner rehabilitation center in Olney. Gently used coats are also donated and distributed in Langley Park, MD.
- Road Cleanup - Every quarter, a team of volunteers to clean up along Route 108 in Olney.
- School Supplies - Backpacks, notebooks and other needed school supplies are provided to our local elementary schools.
- Special Events - Journey Through Bethlehem, Vacation Bible School, Trunk or Treat, Concert Series are all part of the special events hosted and free to the public.
- VBS - One week in August, we educate and entertain up to 70 elementary students with fun activities, games, lessons, videos and provide snacks and take home gifts and projects.
- Yard Sale - Each spring, we host a large yard sale that is open to the public, Tables are $10.00.
For more information or to register to volunteer, please complete the form below or contact Jasmine at